CGC-certified Comic Book With First Appearance of Wonder Woman Sells for $1.62 Million
Posted on 17/06/2022
A comic book graded by Certified Guaranty Company® (CGC®) that is famous for having the first appearance of Wonder Woman lassoed a record for the issue. The All Star Comics #8 graded CGC 9.4 sold for $1.62 million at a Heritage Auctions sale on June 16, 2022.
|Click images to enlarge.|
This particular book (lot 91002) significantly surpassed the previous record for this issue of $936,223, which it set in 2017. It also marked the eighth time a CGC-certified comic sold for over $1 million this year. That list also includes Superman #1, Action Comics #1, Marvel Comics #1, Captain America Comics #1, Fantastic Four #1 and two copies of Detective Comics #27. Check out this article to see a list of all the most expensive comics ever sold.
Some erroneously attribute the first appearance of Wonder Woman to Sensation Comics #1. However, that January 1942 book was the first to feature her character on the cover and began the series that was largely devoted to her adventures. In fact, Wonder Woman quietly debuted earlier with her origin in All Star Comics #8, released in late 1941.
The CGC Census lists 191 examples of All Star Comics #8, but this is the only one that is graded higher than CGC 9.0. No comic book that is primarily sought for its connection to a female superhero had ever realized more than $1 million at auction until now.
Other CGC-certified highlights in the sale include:
- a Fantastic Four #1 graded CGC 9.0 (lot 91018), which sold for $420,000
- a Detective Comics #29 graded CGC 8.5 (lot 91016), which sold for $276,000
- an Amazing Fantasy #15 graded CGC 7.5 (lot 91003), which sold for $216,000
- an X-Men #1 graded CGC 9.2 (lot 91031), which sold for $204,000
- a Superman #1 graded CGC 1.5 (lot 91026), which sold for $198,600
- a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1 graded CGC 9.8 (lot 91029), which sold for $192,000
- an Amazing Spider-Man #1 graded CGC 9.2 (lot 91004), which sold for $168,000
- a Fantastic Four #5 graded CGC 9.4 (lot 91019), which sold for $162,000
Prices realized include a buyer’s premium.